Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Fireweeper, chapter 30

Chapter 30, 24/12/1998


Chapter Thirty


Michael sat up from the bed in his bedroom. Though his left arm and his entire left leg were still in their casts, he had gained somewhat more mobility. Just at that moment, Mirabelle came walking through the doorway carrying breakfast on a tray.

"Good morning, Michael," Mirabelle greeted.

"Good morning, Mirabelle," Michael replied. "Where's Joseph?" he asked.

"He's out tending the cows," Mirabelle answered as she placed the tray before him.

"Mirabelle," said Michael to her, "I'd like you and Joseph to bring me downstairs for dinner, later today, then after that I have something to tell you two."

Mirabelle nodded then said before leaving, "Enjoy your breakfast, Michael."


Having finished dinner, Mirabelle and Joseph put the dishes in the sink. They then wheeled Michael in his wheelchair into the living room where they would all drink coffee. Joseph and Mirabelle sat together on the sofa while Michael sat in his wheelchair by the fireplace. Mysteriously, Michael had kept a small wooden chest on his lap the entire evening. After having taken a sip of his coffee, he spoke:

"Joseph. Mirabelle. I've decided to sell the ranch," Michael announced.

"What? Why?" they asked surprised.

"That accident made me realize how little time I have left," Michael replied. Then he said, "I want to sell the ranch, take a trip through the Orient, and then maybe return to Wisconsin."

"Why Wisconsin?" Mirabelle asked him.

"It would be nice to wind up back where I started," Michael answered then added, "and I want to see how things have changed or haven't changed."

"What about Kirk and Bobby?" asked Mirabelle.

"Kirk's not coming back," said Michael, "He's found something worth staying for in Boston."

"And Bobby?" questioned Joseph.

"He's off to do some traveling," answered Michael, "And I don't think he'll be back."

As Joseph and Mirabelle were silent, Michael continued:

"I'll put up the cows for sale in spring and the ranch as well. It might be a couple of months or longer for the ranch to sell, though," he said.

"What are we going to do 'till then?" asked Joseph.

"Well, I'm not going to be able to move for a while, but you and Mirabelle can pretty up the place," Michael said.

"And then?" asked Mirabelle.

"Once the ranch sells, you're free to do whatever you wish," Michael replied.

"But I don't know what I want to do," said Mirabelle. She still hadn't found her dream.

Michael responded by saying, "It's still a long way off, Mirabelle. You have plenty of time to think about it." He continued, "I still have the chance to follow one last dream of mine, so I'm taking it." He looked at the silent duo before him then said, "Maybe you two think I'm being uncaring by just casting you two away like this, but you can look at it this way: You now can dream your own dream for your lives and live it."

Michael picked up the wooden chest that had been on his lap and handed it to Mirabelle. She opened it up and found inside the little figurine Michael had offered to her before.

"Remember what I told you, before, Mirabelle," Michael said to her, "We're here in life to learn, but we're also here to dream. We create our lives and the world out of our thoughts, our dreams, for good or ill."

Mirabelle nodded then said, "I'll dream the happiest dream I can for myself... and I'll live it."