Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Fireweeper, chapter 3

Chapter Three


A new day dawned as Mirabelle walked to work. She had left her house just before sunrise while the stars were still visible in the purple sky. As she walked, she wondered what it would be like to travel to the stars. People had dreamed of this feat long ago and now scientists and engineers were trying to make the dream a reality. "Will they succeed or will space travel always be just a dream?" she pondered. As the skies brightened the stars began to disappear with the approaching dawn. Mirabelle reached the town's center as the first rays of light fell upon her heels.

She stopped walking and turned to greet the rising sun. It's dazzling round face had just peeked up from the top of the trees and houses to the east. Mirabelle watched the sun rise, lighting up the sky and earth with its fiery crimson and tangerine light. As it continued to rise the iridescent beams transformed themselves into magnificent golden rays and Mirabelle basked in the sunlight like a glowing divinity.

"I am looking at an angel," a voice said. Surprised, Mirabelle turned around. It was Edward. He smiled at her.

"Oh, Edward, I didn't see you coming," Mirabelle chirped to Edward like a happy bird. She put her hands on his shoulders and lifted her head to gaze ecstatically into his chestnut-brown eyes.

"I was just rounding the corner when I saw you," he said wrapping his arms around her waist, "Lovely morning. A great day for business."

"I told my parents last night about your proposal," Mirabelle said as they started walking down the street, hand-in-hand.

"What did they think?" Edward asked.

"They're all for it," Mirabelle answered.

"And how do you feel about it?" he asked her.

"I'm the happiest girl in the world," she replied.

It was true. Mirabelle was always happy when she was with Edward. She always felt safe, protected, and loved when she was with him. As usual, he was finely dressed. This morning he wore a respectable grey business suit with dark brown dress shoes. The couple ambled along until they reached Edward's factory and stood before it.

"How long before you get a new factory?" Mirabelle asked.

"I'm still looking at places," Edward replied as he preened his short brown hair while looking at his reflection in the factory's window, "it won't be for quite a while yet."

"Are you going to buy new equipment when you move?" she asked.

"No, I'll have to move everything to the new place," he replied, "Business is brisk, but if I want to expand I'll have to dogpaddle in red ink until the new factory is up and running smoothly." He looked at the timeworn wooden building before him then said, "I won't miss this old shack that's for sure."

"How are you going to be able to afford the new factory?" Mirabelle asked him.

"I've got to find a willing buyer for this place. It's old but it's on the main thoroughfare of town. If I don't get a good price for it, the new factory will never happen," he answered, then abruptly changed the subject, "But, enough of business. What about the wedding?"

"Of course I want to get married," Mirabelle answered equivocally, "it's just that I don't want to rush into things. I want this to come about at it's own pace. I don't want to be rushed." "Do you understand?" she said, hoping Edward wouldn't be offended.

"Of course," Edward replied. "Haste makes waste... but at least we know we both want it," he said, squeezing her hand tightly.

"Yes," she responded, squeezing his hand back.

"Well, I've got to start working," he said as he hastily kissed her, "I've got to move that mountain and make my dreams come true." Mirabelle and Edward smiled at each other for a moment, then Edward went into his factory and Mirabelle continued on her way to work.


Mirabelle walked to the store with a smile on her face. The disturbing feeling of something missing in her life had left her. It had disappeared when she was with Edward. It must have been premarriage nervousness after all. She opened the store and prepared for the day's business. Time trickled by lazily and Mirabelle was once again staring out the glass door, musing, when in walked the store's owner, Mr. Robert.

"Good afternoon, Mirabelle," he said to her.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Robert," she replied. Mr. Robert was middle-aged man, with salt-and-pepper hair, of medium height and rather portly. He took off his grey hat.

"Glorious Colorado morning, this morning, wouldn't you say?" he asked Mirabelle with an arched eyebrow.

"Yes, it was, Mr. Robert," Mirabelle responded, her eyes looking at him, quizzically.

"I couldn't help noticing a pair of lovebirds enjoying the morning sun when I was out for my walk," he said to her, letting her in on his secret.

"Oh," said Mirabelle as her face flushed.

"Congratulations," he said with a bow, "Mrs. Herbert told me the other day. Certainly the whole town knows by now."

"Well, you can't keep a secret in a small town," responded Mirabelle, "Especially
when it's not much of a secret."

"Edward Davis is a fine, fine young man. So much business acumen he has," Mr. Robert said staring up into space.

"Oh, yes he is," said Mirabelle. She dropped her head slightly and looked at the counter sheepishly. Mr. Robert, having returned from his thoughts, looked at her with concern.

"Is anything wrong, Mirabelle?" he asked.

"No," she replied. "It's just that I'm feeling a bit nervous about the whole thing," she said lifting her head up to look at him.

"Natural. Completely natural," he answered her. "Everybody gets nervous about marriage. Look at me... it scared me so much that I've never gotten married myself," he said jokingly making fun of himself. Mirabelle smiled.

"If you really want some good advice," he continued, "go see Reverend Michaels. He's young, but he's proceeded over many a wedding and I'm sure he has a lot of insight in the matter."

"Thanks, Mr. Robert," Mirabelle said as she thought it over, "I think I'll do just that."

"Fine. Fine," replied Mr. Robert, "Now about this week's supply list...."