Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Fireweeper, chapter 27

Chapter Twenty-Seven


Joseph and Mirabelle sat by the fireplace in the ranch house's living room. Michael had retired early for the night, leaving the two with only the crackling fire for company. Seated on opposite chairs, Joseph and Mirabelle sipped on hot chocolate while watching the flames of fire dance in the darkness.

"I've always loved fires," Mirabelle said to the quiet of the night. After a long silence Joseph spoke:

"What do you want out of life, Mirabelle?" he asked her.

Mirabelle silently thought it over, not replying.

"If you could live any dream at all. Anything. What would it be?" asked Joseph.

"I guess I just want what everyone wants: To be happy. To be loved. To be successful," she answered then continued, "I only know the generalities, not the specifics."

Joseph nodded.

"And how about you, Joseph?" questioned Mirabelle.

He chuckled quietly then said, "I want the same things, of course." After a few moments he added, "I guess that's just the human condition."

"Is there anything else you want?" asked Mirabelle.

Joseph thought for a moment then answered, "I want what I've always wanted: an adventure." He took a sip of his hot chocolate and while looking into the fire, he continued, "I want to learn, to grow, to experience, to challenge myself, to be original, to be creative..." Mirabelle nodded. She too had wanted more than what was presented to her in life.

"I suppose that I've gotten the things I wanted," Joseph said to himself more than to Mirabelle. "In the area of learning experience, at least," he ended.

"And what's your great dream?" questioned Mirabelle.

"I don't know," replied Joseph who then thought it over. "Just to be happy," he answered, "It wouldn't take much to fulfill me. Happiness is a great dream even if its not a terribly grand one."

Mirabelle nodded. "It'll be Christmas, soon." she said.

"Yeah, it's just a few weeks away," replied Joseph.

"Are you going to go back to Oklahoma?" asked Mirabelle.

"No, I haven't been back for a long time," answered Joseph, he then added, "And I wouldn't leave Michael till he found some more help."

Mirabelle nodded.

Ever since having visited the spring, Mirabelle had seen a gradual change in Joseph. He was friendly towards her and not a trace of his former distant self remained. Joseph trusted Mirabelle now and being cooped together on the ranch had made them become somewhat intimate.

"Do you think you could ever love again?" she asked him.

"I could," Joseph replied. "I can dream a new, happy dream, now..." he trailed off. In his mind he said to himself, silently, "If I could find the right woman."

Joseph turned to look into the flames of the fire and finished the rest of his hot chocolate. He then turned to Mirabelle and got up.

"Cocoa's done," he said, "I'm off to bed. Good night, Mirabelle."

"Good night, Joseph," she replied.

Joseph walked out of the living room and, after placing his mug in the sink, went to his bedroom, leaving Mirabelle with the only the companionship of the fire in the cold, dark night. As she sat there gazing into the fire's flames, Mirabelle found a warmth in her heart which she hadn't expected to find.